We Are Elevated With Him
It has been said no one can do what they do accept they do so with the power given them by God alone. We are elevated with Him to a place of power.
Pharaoh elevated Joseph to a place of power and authority because he recognized the power of God in him. He recognized the vastness of Joseph’s wisdom and understanding as what could only come from a great God. Pharaoh gave him a name that meant “one who sees hidden things”. This is a precursor of Jesus who certainly is one who sees the hidden things of our heart.
Pharaoh gave Joseph as his wife Asenath. She came from paganism and wealth. But she represents a phase of the church. Asenath had only known the gods and practice of the idol worshipping Egyptians. She had a choice to make as the wife of a Jew and the second in command to the Pharaoh and a man who walks closely with God.
Women of the Church
Eve was the first woman to represent a phase of the church. Her name means to “breathe life into”. Other women of the Bible hold prominent places in the establishment of God’s church. Asenath’s name means “taken from the earth”. She represents the elevation of the church and those who believe and repent and convert and give our life to God. We are elevated with Him to a place of power.
Joseph refused to be taken in by the lustful desires and was imprisoned unjustly for it. He denied himself what was common place in that culture at that time. Joseph kept to what God called him to. Just as God has chosen us, God Joseph chose to marry one woman. God is committed to completing the work He started in us and we are His bride. He has elevated us to a place of grace, forgiveness, righteousness, sanctification, and a seat before His throne.
- 39 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Inasmuch as God has shown you all this, there is no one as discerning and wise as you.
- 40 You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word; only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you.”
- 41 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “See, I have set you over all the land of Egypt.”
- 42 Then Pharaoh took his signet ring off his hand and put it on Joseph’s hand; and he clothed him in garments of fine linen and put a gold chain around his neck.
- 43 And he had him ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried out before him, “Bow the knee!” So he set him over all the land of Egypt.
- 44 Pharaoh also said to Joseph, “I am Pharaoh, and without your consent no man may lift his hand or foot in all the land of Egypt.”
- 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph’s name Zaphnath-Paaneah. And he gave him as a wife Asenath, the daughter of Poti-Pherah priest of On. So Joseph went out over all the land of Egypt.
- 46 Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt.
- 47 Now in the seven plentiful years the ground brought forth abundantly.
- 48 So he gathered up all the food of the seven years which were in the land of Egypt, and laid up the food in the cities; he laid up in every city the food of the fields which surrounded them. 49 Joseph gathered very much grain, as the sand of the sea, until he stopped counting, for it was immeasurable.
- 50 And to Joseph were born two sons before the years of famine came, whom Asenath, the daughter of Poti-Pherah priest of On, bore to him. 51 Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: “For God has made me forget all my toil and all my father’s house.” 52 And the name of the second he called Ephraim: “For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction.”
Published Aug 24, 2021